Thursday, December 29, 2011

I MADE SAUSAGE!!!

For Christmas this year my wonderful man friend got me the meat grinding and sausage stuffing attachment that goes on my kitchen aid mixer, and I made my very own sausage! I am not going to put my recipe on here just yet, because I want to tweak it and make it absolutely perfect. Don't get me wrong the sausage I made was very delicious and very rustic, but it was my first attempt at sausage making so I can't wait to try the perfected product. I chose to make two types of sausage, including sage sausage and I made a lamb sausage. I absolutely loved the flavoring in both, the lamb was so amazingly earthy. I plan to make all kinds of weird sausages including rabbit and rattlesnake. 


First thing first, find yourself a good butcher, not only is it important for the quality of meat, but I had no idea going to the butcher could be so fun! If you are ever in the Los Angeles area I would highly recommend the guys over at Lindy&Grundy, probably the hippest butcher ever. Although they don't really carry a lot of the exotic game meats that I want to experiment with other than the occasional rabbit, they are still pretty hip. Anyway check out this link and see how awesome they are! http://lindyandgrundy.com/


The key to making sausage is fat and the second key is to keep everything extremely cold, including your equipment. Sausage making isn't exactly the most attractive process and I wouldn't advise it to happen on a first date, unless you are way awesome, then by all means stuff away. I think it is quite funny that a lot of people don't realize that stuff that is shaping your sausage is actually the thin membrane of the pig's intestine. Being elbows deep in that might turn some of you away, so if your prefer you could just make sausage patties which require no casings. It honestly just feels like a balloon and has no smell, so don't be a pansy and try it! it is a very lengthy process, although I am sure with more practice I might be able to pick the pace up. It was a very fun experience and I am pretty proud of myself! I mean, how many people do you know make their own sausage? Follow my journey on sausage perfection, in the mean time enjoy these pictures of the sausage making process!

























Hope you enjoyed the photos, I look forward to making more delicious sausage, stay tuned for recipes, and as always I will see you a little further on down the line!
 

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks delicious! I'll be excited to see the recipe, but I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to try it. I don't even know if there are any butchers in Bristol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you could even talk to the meat guy at Food City!

    ReplyDelete